Monday, May 11, 2009

State of Play

I saw “State of Play” a few days ago. It’s an entertaining flick with big name actors (including Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Helen Mirren and Rachel McAdams). An engaging plot, it’s a great date movie.

The movie aside, I was reminded of the role music plays when creating a soundtrack for a movie, television series or commercial. I got thinking about this because there was a Creedence Clearwater song that played during the credits.

I couldn’t help but think what a perfect match it was for the movie. The voice, the beat, the guitar. They captured so much of Russell Crowe's character in that one song - even long before that character had been created. So what did I do? I went home and downloaded – not only the song – but the entire CC album - off of iTunes (and I’m definitely not the biggest CC fan). A great example of successful product placement (but that's another story).

There are lots of other times when this has happened. Music has gotten me excited about something or inspired me to do something new - even if it's simply to find an old CD or download music. Call it a "state of play." It's a state of playing music. Some of my favorite "states" have come about through soundtrack or broadcast associations. It's sort of feels like an aha moment - even if I haven't actually figured something out. I've simply rediscovered something I'd forgotten about... or discovered a "new" thing that's actually old.

In keeping with that theme, I thought I’d share a few of those "states" that stuck with me. (I apologize for the small type. Click on the image to enlarge it):

[Click image to enlarge]

And if you were a fan of "West Wing," make sure and re-watch the scene where "Brothers in Arms" played. It's fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment